Thursday, December 22, 2005

More unpleasant truths

They say ignorance is bliss. Do you agree?

I spend 2 hours in the wee morning on wednesday night to read the NKF report that was finally released to the public. It was over 400 pages in length and I read about 150 pages and glancing though another 50 pages or so. The report was damning and disheartening. I think many Singporeans were appalled at the content despite being given warning that it makes grim reading.

More unpleasant truths.

1. Wasteful manner of using NKF funds. (which are public funds)

Include buying large amount of air tickets and not using them. Stating personal holiday overseas trips as work related. And the list goes on.

2. Pay and bonuses which were too generous.

Pay rise up to 4 times a year?!!!?!!?? Bonus that can be backdated for 9 months? Leave that can be backdated to NINE years???? Annual leave amounting to 31 days a year? (meaning your effective working calendar is less than 11 months) Bonuses amounting to 6 months of your pay?

Wow. They sure make MNC look bad in comparision.

3. Getting more while apearing to get less.

Very ingenious indeed Mr Durai. But I thought your explanation of how "it was unintended" was more ingenious.

So I have decided that my charity funds will be carefully controlled from now onwards. I will only donate to charities which I know are making full use of each and every dollar. It is unfortunate that the "NEW" NKF will have to bear the brute of this screening process. But with reserves expected to last more than 6 years there is no immediate concerns to the welfare of the NKF patients. While I appreciate the dedication of the new chairman to restore faith to the running of the NKF, I do think he might be trying too hard. Give the public some time to muse over certain issues. Let the dust settle. Then start sourcing for new donors once again. Changing to a new name might not be be a bad suggestion afterall. By urging people to donate straight after such an epsiode smacks of over optimisim.

I will be waiting with abated breathe for the trial involving TT Durai. I guess only a fair punishment will restore faith among Singaporeans. One man against a nation. It is going to be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home