Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Reap What you sow

Just want to grumble a few lines after I seen today news. The NKF postmortem report is finally out and it makes grim reading. In short, the headlines are

1. Only 10 cents of every donor dollar went into patient care.
2. TT Durai earns hell lots out of NKF. Lots of money were siphon out of NKF using loopholes.
3. Management at NKF were shambolic and were grossly out of line.

I have not recorded an entry prior to this because I felt anything written in anger wasnt going to reflect a true account of what really happen. But the complete truth is more disappointing then I thought it will be. No wonder ignorance is bliss.

Although the money earned by TT Durai is exorbitant, that itself wasnt the greatest point of contention. I do feel a CEO ought to earn an amount befitting of a CEO. Of course, how much is exorbitant is subjective I guess. (yes i do not agree that is peanuts) Of greater concern was that he was 'earning' (inclusive first class air tickets and car maintenance) money earnmarked for charity, and abusing his position of trust to award large money contract to his associates. Whether he did it as a sign of good will to his friends or he had a share in the business or whether he received any money out of the deal ... I guess will be the subject of a police investigation.

I want more truths, be it unplesant. Other answers that I want to know include

1. Pay of the former NKF board members.
2. Exactly how much was spend on the annual charity fund raising shows on channel 8 (or was it half yearly?)
3. Whether people were earning money off those charity fund rising shows.

Being a cynical person, this epsiode and the recent Singapore Association of the Blind furore has further make me skeptical of the running of the charity. It is true that I am not contributing much to these charities presently, but I have always harbour thoughts of having a few selected charity to donate to when I join the work force (not long from now) and I can say two names will be missing from my list till I am convince that my dollar is being stretch to the max.

I will be reading tomorrow Straits Times for the full report. Another issue that caught my attention was the speed that attention was defracted from themselves of their association with NKF immediately after the release of this report.

May appropriate actions taken against people who deem money for the sick and the under privilege as their own. Maybe even a jail sentence isnt enough. Those egg heads ought to cough out the money they cheated (yah i can think of no better word).

This entire epsiode has just make me more disappointed in mankind.
'He who holds the gold makes the rules.' Eh really true huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home