Tuesday, February 08, 2005

My Sassy Gal Part 1

I have been wanting to blog about this for sometime but the entry that I have written can never measure to the personal standard that I have set for myself.

This entry is about my favourite movie – “ My Sassy Gal”. I am sure it is the favourite movie of many others as well. For those who haven’t seen it before, I strongly urge you to rent the VCD!




VCD coverof the movie

A short briefing for those who have never watched the film before. It is a Korean movie released in 2001 starring Jeon Ji-Hyeon as the female lead and Cha Tae-Hyeon as Gyun Woo, the male lead. A wacky, romantic love story that will make you spill your sides laughing and make your heart wrench at the love that wasn’t allowed to blossom.


Gyun Woo being bullied and enjoys it!

So what exactly is it that makes this my favourite movie? Besides the excellent plot and great acting skills from both lead casts, let me list down the 5 details that make this my favourite!

#1

The female lead always write scripts of the future and of time travel. She admits subconsciously that she is living in the past and hope that someone from the “future” can rescue her from there.

#2

The scene in the taxi. This scene stood out even during the first time I watched the movie. Lots of people either didn’t feel anything special about this part or they can’t even remember this scene at all. I remember the guy lead saying “since the female lead emotional wounds are healing perhaps it is also time for him to bide farewell.” It touched a raw emotion within me. Sacrificial love. Have I just seen on the big screen a highest order of this form of love? Being there when it matters and not expecting any returns in the end.

#3

The scene at the top of the mountain. How the female lead cried her heart out at her inability to let go of her past love and silently acknowledging deep within herself that their present love is reaching an end and they will have to separate.

*Notice her shaking fingers as she is crying. Excellent portrayal of her role*

#4

The time capsule scene. While it is not the idea of a time capsule that is touching, it was the expression of Gyun woo who understands and realize that it symbolize the end of the relationship and he wonders if the female lead will actually keep to her promise of returning on the agreed time. It was heart wrenching to know how inevitable the breakup was going to be.

#5

The ending. It was so well crafted that I didn’t see it coming. How the twist at the end reveals that actually they were meant to be. It was a very sweet ending and one that still brings a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I view the MTV.

Coming up next would be the easter egg (secrets revealed) of Sassy Gal Part 2! Watch this space! = )


Jeon Ji Hyun asks what are you looking at?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home